Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yum Yum Falafel Recipe

I had never thought to make my own falafel until I saw it on this website. I tried it, and yum! I don't make it in the crockpot though because it just takes too long for my liking (I also left them in too long one time and they turned into little rocks. oops). I fry mine in a pan and they turn out wonderful. I just made a big batch and I'm planning on freezing half. Next time I think I'll also add in some vegetables like carrots or peas. 

Falafel Recipe
  • 1 15oz can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 T dried parsley
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t kosher salt
  • 1/4 t black pepper
  •  2 t ground cumin
  • 1 t ground coriander
  • 1/4 t cayenne pepper
  • juice from 1 lemon 
  • You will also need breadcrumbs later
The original recipe says to smash your chickpeas with a fork until it's a mushy paste. But because I like to take the easy way I just throw everything in the blender. The original recipe says not to do this, but mine have turned out fine. Blend everything together. Then add breadcrumbs until it's not as sticky and you can form it into balls (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup breadcrumbs). I also used italian breadcrumbs for added tastiness. After you've formed them into patties you can brush each side with a little oil and then fry until golden on each side. (Or I suppose you could just put some oil in the pan). Serve with pitas and a cucumber/yogurt dipping sauce. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I made my own one time and they fell apart. I haven't tried them since, but maybe I'll try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yumm!! Looks delicious!! I'll have to try this recipe! Mom

    ReplyDelete