Friday, April 8, 2011

Chicken Nuggets and Rice

I'm getting more and more excited to start doing foster care. As soon as we find a new apartment or house that has more room we can start the application process! Our current lease is up in a couple months so we're starting to look for homes. We've been talking about doing foster care for a long time, but now it seems like it's just right around the corner. I've slowly been collecting kids friendly recipes, craft ideas, reading foster care books, and doing additional reading in child psychology. Sometimes during my break at work I just sit around and organize fun things for when we're foster parents.


We recently found our freezer overtaken by bargain priced meats, so I decided it was time to try a kid-friendly but healthy meal. Chicken Nuggets (baked, not fried) and tofu nuggets! I've never made my own chicken nuggets, and it was fun. It was more work than I'd probably like to do unless I made a big batch and put them in the freezer. But they tasted just like chicken nuggets (so not too exciting unless you love chicken nuggets) - but I think a picky eater would definitely eat these up! When I make them again I might try grinding up the chicken and then making them into fun shapes (because there weren't already enough steps involved?). I'm sure it'd be cheaper (time-wise) to just buy chicken nuggets, but that would be less fun and less healthy. The tofu nuggets were also very good, and will be made again.

Smokie has such long legs that it's hard for him to reach his food. The result - how far out do you have to stick your legs out until you can reach your food? And yes, he is eating rice. Right now he's crying because he can smell rice but doesn't have any. Sometimes we find that if we leave our rice cooker open he cleans it for us if we don't watch him carefully. Naughty weasel.


No comments:

Post a Comment