Saturday, June 11, 2011

More Weekend Cooking Projects

Lately I have been a little busy so my weekend cooking (and cleaning) has deteriorated significantly. I have so many recipes I want to try so I'll have to be better at managing my time and planning ahead. I recently went to Texas for a friends wedding. While there I met up with a good friend from college and he took me out to eat at a BBQ place (naturally). It was there I was introduced to creamed corn. This is nothing like the mushy stuff that comes in a can. This is whole corn kernels in, well, cream (and other things)! MMmmmm! Then again at my friend's wedding reception creamed corn made an appearance on the menu! It was soooo good! When I got home I had to try my hand at making it. It was good, but not as good as real Texas creamed corn. I'll still probably make it again, but with no butter this time.
Another nostalgic treat I made recently is toasted ravioli (T-ravs). I was first introduced T-ravs by a friend in St. Louis. I love T-ravs! Once upon a time ravioli was on my list of foods to try to make. So I thought why not coat them in crumbs and fry them? They tasted delicious but most of the crumbs fell off during the frying process. That was two years ago. After making the jalapeno poppers and having good luck with the crumb coating I decided to apply the same process to the t-ravs. It was a success! They were so sooo good!  Delicious as they are, it will probably be another 2 years before I make them again! Homemade ravioli are a too much work!
And this wasn't a project. This was "uh oh, I forgot to plan something for supper and we need something fast!". Put tomato sauce on a garlic pita, top with cheese, put in toaster oven. MMmmmm, our new favorite homemade pizza! I don't think we'll ever make a pizza crust again it was so good. A garlic pita has just the right flavor and just the right consistency to be the perfect crust. I can't wait to try out different types of pizzas.

No comments:

Post a Comment