Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bun Thit Nuong (15:03 at PhoGrand!)

Those of you in St. Louis have the luxury of going down to PhoGrand and ordering a nice delicious bowl of tasty anytime you want! I'm so jealous. I am so far away and so crave the deliciousness of number 15:03. In the bottom of your bowl is lettuce and cucumber, that is topped with hot rice vermicelli noodles and charbroiled pork garnished with chopped peanuts and cilantro. Then you add a delicious sauce over the whole thing that turns it into a sort of soup. It is made even more delicious by adding eggrolls to the top. Mmmmm. I was introduced to Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gio (15:03) by the wonderful women at St. John's Mercy Neighborhood Ministry, and it has since been an all-time favorite food of mine! Yum! It was so delicious that I still remembered that number 3 years later. I recently tried my hand at making it, but I didn't have high hopes of it turning out that well. But mmmmMMMmmm, it turned out just delicious! This recipe is a keeper, but I plan to try out a different marinade for my charbroiled pork next time and definitely have eggrolls. I generally followed this recipe http://themealplanner.blogspot.com/2009/05/charbroiled-pork-vermicelli-bun-thit.html
But I added cucumber slices and omitted bean sprouts, and cilantro is a must not an option. Look, a favorite food I crave that is not fried in oil!

3 comments:

  1. Laura, so now we are definitely coming out for a visit! Will have bun thit nuong, jalapeno poppers, kimchi for starters! Or maybe you could just adopt me so I could be eating all these fantastic foods on a regular basis.

    Seriously, I think the bun thit nuong is the same thing as the vegetables on vermicelli that your mother and I loved so much at the Thai restaurant, only our version is vegetarian.

    -Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should give this recipe a try then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are really an adventurous cook Laura!!
    This looks and sounds delicious! Mom

    ReplyDelete