Sunday, November 13, 2011

Gyoza and Malasadas

Lately I haven't wanted to make anything too involved, but this weekend I decided it was time to cross some more recipes off my "to make" list. I was so excited when I was shopping at the grocery store to find some ground pork for 1.79/lb to make into gyoza. It was only after I had already emptied it into the pan that I realized it was ground turkey and not pork! Oh well, the result was still delicious and probably a lot healthier (well, as healthy as something fried in OIL could be I suppose). I've also been wanting to try making malasadas for the longest time. For those not in the know, malasadas are a delicious fried Portuguese donut that they have in Hawaii. I know, most of my fun treats to make end up being fried in oil. Oops.

The results of both recipes were delicious! Gyoza not pictured as a result of being too delicious to make it in front of a camera. The malasadas were really good (not as good as Leonard's Bakery, but still pretty tasty). We now have malasadas coming out our ears even after delivering a plate to our neighbor (who happens to be from Hawaii) and with Justin bringing some to school. If I ever make them again I will remember to make 1/2 or 1/4 recipe! I don't know why I read 6 cups of flour and 6 eggs and didn't think to reduce it. I must have been thinking with my belly.

I used this recipe than Nadine sent. Thanks Nadine! I skipped the step of turning over the dough and letting it rise again. Perhaps it would have been even more delicious had I followed the directions.

Next weekends cooking project: Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting. mmmm.

2 comments:

  1. I know where you could send some malasadas....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...the malasadas look scrumptious! Glad they came out good - i've never tried that recipe - but they're a BIG hit at the Punahou carnival every year. *also, LOVE your blog's new look - like a scrapbook page :)

    ReplyDelete